Student Tax Return

As an international student or scholar in the US, you are classified as a ‘Non Resident Alien’ under US tax law and you need to file an annual tax return (Form 1040NR). If you haven’t worked or received a funding, you need to complete Form 8843.

Understanding the US tax system and filing a tax return can be an overwhelming and confusing experience for any student.

That’s why, to make things easier for you, the LewerMark International Student Health Insurance Team has teamed up with Sprintax – an online tool specifically designed for international students and scholars which helps you prepare your Federal and State tax return in less than 20 minutes!

Getting Started with Sprintax

  • Register here or click the “Get Started” Button below
  • Complete each section
  • Sprintax will prepare your tax return
  • Your tax return will be available for download in your online account.

Why should you file a Tax return?

  • The most important reason to file a return is that it is a legal requirement of the United States. Failing to file may impact the status of your current visa and make future US visa applications difficult.
  • Avoid penalties – If you miss the April 15th deadline you may face late filing penalties. Filing prior to this date prevents this, so the earlier you file, the better.
  • You may be owed a tax refund – most international students filing a tax return are due a tax refund for overpaid tax. The average refund is $800 – $1000. It’s worth checking to see if you are due a refund.

About the Service

Sprintax is the non-resident tax partner of TurboTax. Sprintax is a US tax return preparation tool designed primarily to prepare non- resident Federal and State tax returns. Sprintax is available for use by foreign students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees and all other international education visitors with visa type F, H, J, L, M, and Q immigration status. Sprintax is also available for use by dependents of those on stated visa and program types.

What documents and information I might need to have available to fill my tax return?

  • Passport or other valid photo ID
  • US Entry and Exit Dates for current and all past visits to the US
  • All tax forms, including Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 – if you received them
  • Visa/Immigration Status information, including Form DS-2019 (for J visa holders) or Form I-20 (for F visa holders) Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not have an ITIN, Sprintax still can help you!
  • If you are using Sprintax for State Tax Return(s) preparation only you will need a copy of your already prepared Federal Tax return

Tip: Make sure that you have all payment documents for the tax year you’re applying for.

Federal Tax Preparation (Form 1040 NR)From $35.95
State Tax Preparation$29.95
Form 8843$15.95
ITIN Application$15.95
FICA Preparation$15.95