What Factors Affect the Cost of Student Health Insurance?
Premiums for international health insurance plans are calculated based on different factors. These include:
- The age of the student: As a person ages, they become more prone to developing a serious medical condition. Health insurance rates go up as a person gets older.
- The geographical area of coverage: Health insurance pricing and coverage may vary depending on a student’s location. Students who want healthcare coverage in the U.S. may end up paying more because medical treatment here is more expensive than in other countries.
- Coverage benefits: The cost of an insurance program depends on the benefits they include in their policy, such as pre-existing conditions. If you implement a mandatory group health insurance plan, your students will not be able to choose their plan type. But this also provides more standardized coverage for your institution than many individual student plan coverages provide.
Understanding F1 Student Visa Requirements
F1 visas are nonimmigrant visas for those who wish to study in the US. Those who plan to enter a university, college, high school, seminary, or other academic institution need to file an F1 visa application so they can start their academic program.
Is the School SEVP-approved?
Not all schools in the U.S. accept international students into their program. So it’s important for students to verify whether the institution they wish to attend is Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-approved.
The student becomes an official enrollee in the SEVP program upon acceptance into their school of choice. This comes with a one-time application fee. Then, they’re all set for an interview with a local U.S. embassy, making them a full-fledged international student.
What are the Requirements?
There are no federal requirements for F1 visa holders. However, the requirements vary depending on the school the student is currently enrolled at. These include:
- Mandatory Group Health Insurance Plans – Some schools follow mandatory group health insurance plans. Under this program, students are automatically enrolled in a program and are unable to choose their coverage.
- Group Health Insurance Plans with the Option to Waive – Other institutions allow their students to waive group health insurance, so long as they are able to prove that they have coverage for an alternative coverage plan.
- Optional Health Insurance Plan – In some cases, schools give their students free rein to purchase any healthcare insurance plan they like.
Protect your international students with group health insurance coverage and fulfill your duty of care. Contact us for more information.(form?)
Giving International Students an Added Layer Protection
International students have the privilege of visiting new and exciting places. But being in unfamiliar territory can make it difficult for them to find the right doctor or medical health provider.
An international student health insurance plan provides the following benefits:
- Find a doctor or pharmacy easily – Health insurance makes the search for a doctor or hospital convenient. All students have to do is find a facility that’s located within our provider network.
- Major emergency assistance – When a major medical emergency happens, international health insurance plan helps a student arrange their trip back home. They’ll also have a “compassionate visit benefit” that allows a family member to visit them in the hospital.
- Available translators – Students who face a medical emergency can communicate clearly with healthcare providers with the help of our translators.
- 24/7 healthcare access – Students can reach out to LewerMark anytime, in the event of a healthcare issue or emergency.